Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Weekly lunch for momma

Yesterday afternoon I decided to make up some lunches for myself to get rid of some veggies that were needing to be used up. I have some plastic one use containers that are about a cup and a half worth of food space to store them in the fridge. I made enough for five meals. I decided to make it a vegetarian so I could add any other leftover meat or can tuna whichever I felt like on the particular day but I wanted a base recipe to build off of. I can either eat it hot or cold. This is just what I had on hand but you can substitute any veggies or rice of your liking.

Veggie Rice Lentil Medley
4 medium green zucchini
2 bell peppers
3 garlic cloves
1/2 onion
2 baby bock choy ( save the leaves for the very end)
3 green onions (save for end)
1 cup wild rice and lentil medley (Safeway brand)
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 15oz can diced Italian flavored tomatoes

Boil the rice medley in 2 cups of low sodium broth for 15 minutes, chop onion and garlic sauté for 2 minutes on medium in 1 tbs olive oil. chop zucchinin and whites of bock choy add to onion and garlic. add salt and pepper to taste (very important to add while cooking not just at the end to flavor your dish). Cook for 5 minutes until softend

Add your can of tomatoes then the bock choy leaves and green onions boil for 5 minutes add the rice medley with any leftover broth and the 1/2 cup orzo, cover and cook until orzo has absorbed the liquid. Eat immediately or cool and put in storage containers. This can also be frozen and then thawed and heated through.

Today I will be adding some BBQ chicken from last nights dinner to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment